Friday, September 4, 2009

My Very Own Dog....






Okay, so he was our Family's dog. He was my best friend for 13 1/2 years - he was a lab X cocker mix which we got to pick out at a place like a farm. I was 7 years old. I remember trying to think of a name. Corie, my sister, my Mom and Dad and I went round and round. .........Butch was who he became. And his name So Fit him! Sadly, he had epilepsy most all of his life, and that was what would end up taking him away from us in the end. He was a escape artist, and wandered the neighborhood once in awhile. Making me worry about him So much. He was my walking pal for years and years. I have always felt comfort when feeling sad or upset in leashing up my dog(s) and taking them for walks. I have put Many a mile on many a dog over the years. Butch kept all my "secrets" and I shared many with him! And when I became engaged to marry my dear, patient husband Tom - he was the Only family member home on that day in June of 1972. He got to see my ring before any others. And he Was SO happy for me. Wink! of course he was just plain happy! I have many photos of Butch. But, here are a couple of my favorites. the one in black and white was taken in 1965 when my cousin Vonnie and her dog Peggy and Butch and I went climbing and hiking. Butch and Peggy a sweet Springer Spaniel were wet from a swim. I was 11 years old, Vonnie 12. The second photo was taken of Butch in my parent's basement - he was about 12 years old in this photo, and it was taken in 1973. This was the year, I would move away from home and get married. I left Butch behind with the family. And adopted a cat, whom was named Alexandra (Alex for short). I sneaked her into our apartment, while Tom was out of town. Big Smile! ( a story for another blog) - Butch had many more seizures in 1974 - and even the medication which at the time was so primitive, made him no more then a "shell of himself" - quit working. And although I got to see him and try to give him medicine that very last day, he was so ill. After I put the tablet down his throat to hopefully help him not have a seizure, I remember him stopping and looking at me as if he "knew who I was" - and then went right into another seizure. He went blind, and was having one after another. My dear dad took him for his final trip to the vet December 12th, 1974. I was heartbroken. He was first of many that I would have to say goodbye to. And it never gets any easier! Dogs Really don't stay near long enough.
While in school, before Butch went away, I loved looking at dog books. I found old Gazette Magazines, and decided early on that one day I WOULD own a Great Dane, AND a Bull Terrier. These were the Breeds for Me! Big smile! I probably still have the Gazette around here which featured Hon. David Merriam's Bull Terrier on it's cover. I believe it was "Sandpiper". He was amazing looking. I can't remember his full registered name. But, Yes, One day I would have those breeds...

No comments:

Post a Comment