Friday, September 4, 2009

Photos of Blacky and I On the Farm...




I actually think that my love for animals was in part because this was where I wanted to spend all my free time while growing up - on the farm in MN. I spent weeks on end at my Grandpa and Grandma's house. Helping feed the animals, and learning all I could from them. I also had a pet Cow for 12 years. my Grandpa was a old softy - he didn't destroy "Blacky" until a couple of years had passed that she didn't calve. She didn't "freshen" (as he called it) - I am sure due to her age. But she was great a pet. She came when her name was called. She would lay down and let me sit on her. she loved to be hugged and kissed even! I have always Loved to spend quiet peaceful time with my animals. They are always "there" no matter what. :o) Here is a photo of me and my dear old Blacky. She was my subject of many a art project I did in schoo - I still have a painting of her up above my kitchen cupboards now that I did. My teacher - Mr. Englin was the Best art teacher I had. I think of him often! I also think of how much time I hung out with her and the other cows in the fields, for hours and hours, just enjoying the peace and quiet... She was about 9 years old in this photo and it was taken in 1970. The one in black and white was of me leaning on Blacky out in the pasture. She was such a nice girl!
I haven't only loved "just dogs". I enjoy all animals. Still do, but Bull Terriers have become my "thing"! My cousin Vonnie and I would pour over newspaper ads looking for a horse. For SURE we wanted one. Just convincing our parents was the only hurdle we never seemed to get over! Vonnie and I still smile about wondering *Just What a Gelding Was* ...... and ended up asking my dad. :o) He is such a great teacher about the birds and the bees!! ;o)) I never did get a horse. Vonnie has one of her own these days - and her and I have oh so much in common when it comes to animals!
I stayed the last time on my Grandparents farm after Tom and I were married - in 1974. He went fishing with a friend. Alex my cat, and I spent the weekend with my Grandpa and Grandma - so I wouldn't have to be alone. It was So peaceful. I have so many wonderful memories. I sure miss them a lot! they both passed away in the mid 1980's. So much has changed on their land now. They wouldn't recognize the farmstead anymore. I hardly did the last time I was out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment