Thursday, September 10, 2009

And then... Tessie..........


Bless my friend Hildy's heart, she wanted me to "try out" one of her breeds. She had Harlequin Great Danes, and Miniature Pinschers. (about 20 plus Mini-pins as they are called!). Hildy and I were traveling / show buddies, and dearest friends too. I met her when I got my Great Dane, and we became fast friends, but didn't actually spend much time together until I got Winnie. She was my Biggest supporter. I think she ached when I lost Winnie too. She offered me my favorite of her Min-pins - Tessie. She was BEAUTIFUL. Black and Rust, and such a good little girl, but Scared To Death of the "mini" humans. She would hide in her kennel, skirt the walls to avoid the children. Poor Bryan and Vince really liked her a lot... but there was no way, even after 2 weeks of living with us, that she would settle. My fear that she would freak out and run out the door if the boys opened it a wee bit too far - got to be too much. So I returned her to Hildy and her husband Richard. I enjoyed many a year going over to Hildy and Richard's house, hanging out for hours on end - and more trips in the van to many a dog show - with Hildy till Hildy's passing in the 1990's ... but I am jumping ahead of myself here... I Also realized that a "small" dog that shivered was NOT my type of dog (even though I loved little Tessie ever so much - shown above, and in Tom's lap - so her size can be determined - she was a tiny 5 to 7 pound girl!), We Needed a Dog that could withstand "little boys", one which could handle being patted on the side firmly, and not be knocked over. Winnie taught me to laugh after Edel died and although I Really think one day I could "handle" having another Dane... Bullies had really stolen my heart. so.................

No comments:

Post a Comment