Sunday, September 6, 2009

My first Bull Terrier







My first bully. In the photo - she finished her American Kennel Club Championship. Her name was Champion Magor Martella, and we called her Winnie. I showed her myself! She was very sound, and more terrier type. She didn't have a good head, 'rather plain' was how her breeder described her head. But I showed her and I Did finish her myself. I learned a lot about sportsmanship with her. She lost far more then she won. And with the first win (under a judge that said "you both worked so hard, I had to pick her!" thank You Roger Hartinger! as I am still showing today, because of You!) - I congratulated the others in the ring with me. They all laughed at me and hugged me. What a dope I was! I was so used to saying Congratulations! Winnie was a bit sharp with other dogs and animals. This was more normal then it is now. Back then - the breeders were just starting to really socialize the dogs, and I think I learned how to socialize them better too. As after Winnie, all of my dogs continue to be socialized with as many dogs (all sizes) that I can socialize them with. Winnie sadly was born with a juvenile kidney, one that never grew to the normal size, and she was also poisoned in our backyard of our home. She went into kidney failure, and no matter how I tried to hold on to her, we lost her in January of 1980. She is the other part to my kennel name. ... EDELWIN (noble win - because she taught me so much about being a good sport... Thank YOU Corie for suggesting that I explain how I came to have my kennel name in bull terriers! And here is a photo of Corie and I at Bryan and Amy's wedding in August 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment