Friday, September 4, 2009

Really... My Very Own Dog!







So, in 1975, April of that year. I got my very own dog! His name was NuHorizon Edel Riese'. My German friend at work helped me name him Edel is supposed to mean Noble according to what she told me. And Riese' was supposed to mean Giant. Who was I to say? Worked for me. He was fawn with a black mask, and alllllllllll mine! Smile! He was born Feb. 10th, 1975. At 9 months old - he was 90 pounds! the first photo of him alone shows him at 5 months of age! the second one was taken with our son Bryan in 1976. He had a lot of health problems over the years, and only weighed 150 pounds. Pretty thin for a dog 36" at the shoulders, and over 6' tall standing on his hind legs. I lost him when he was 5 years and 2 weeks old to Bloat and Torsion. A very common problem in deep chested breeds. I dabbled in show training him a little while Bryan and Vince were babies/ toddlers. But he never gained enough weight to actually show. His name Edel is part of the reason I chose Edelwin for my kennel name. He loved Alex the cat. And adored Panda the cat I got after Alex was hit by a car one evening. Panda loved him too.

3 comments:

  1. It is so nice to see a photo of Edel- FINALLY! I LOVE looking at these photos and reading about your history with your beloved animals :-)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. ........ you mean you never saw him before? I need to get back to uploading photos! nice to "see you" Jen!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember babysitting Bryan and Edel babysitting me! When he barked, no one would dare enter!! What an awesome dog.
    ~Beth :)

    ReplyDelete