Thursday, September 10, 2009

And where to go now..........?


When Edel passed, in March of 1980, I went into a funk. I had seriously thought about getting a Komondor (a Hungarian dog that looks much like a humongous mop! wink) for a brief moment in time, and then I considered more seriously a Beauceron Shepherd (who look an awful lot like a fuzzy Doberman / Shepherd mix.) But before Edel passed I had looked more seriously and started contacting Bull Terrier breeders. I spent many hours writing people the old fashioned snail mail way asking about Bull Terriers. I worried about "Bloat / Torsion" in the breed, and wanted to avoid it. I wanted a breed that would "live longer". And once satisfied that Bloat/ Torsion wasn't going to be a big issue, I jumped in and thought - sure, that is a dog I should maybe have. When Edel died - I just sort of stopped. Didn't want another dog, didn't want to face more heart break, DIDN'T want to go on.... And one morning I woke up and thought... "Alright, I am ready. I need a Dog.... And the Phone Rang (Seriously~) So when I got the call that very day... that Winnie was available, I was thrilled and finally ready to have another dog in my life. I was totally caught off guard when we lost her at an even younger age then we did our Great Dane. (5 years 2 weeks isn't nearly long enough... 3 years and 9 months even less so!). When Winnie died in January of 1984, we had a few days without a dog. Just a few days. And although this wasn't "really OUR dog" - when she arrived, she very much took a lot of ache out of my heart. My dear friend Kris and her then husband were splitting up. Rosie needed a TEMPORARY place to stay. January till March sometime - she spent a lot of time healing my heart, loving my sons, who loved her dearly back, and snuggling with Tom. I secretly (maybe Not so secretly - but I tried not to burden Kris with my wish) - wished that Rosie could stay Forever. Rosie was Champion Hydrojax Inspiration Rose. She was Winnie's aunt. Really - she was.. She was the litter sister to Winnie's father - Champion Royalbon's Revelationist. Oh, and she had a patch that was "somewhat like" Winnie's - different color, but same side. And did I mention she was sweet? She turned 5 years old in March. This was when our son's started to help celebrate the birthday's of our dogs. They were very sad to know Rosie would be leaving and not living with us. So I convinced them to help celebrate a party for her, for going away, and for her 5th Birthday. as you can see - they had a lot of fun. Twinkie parties became tradition from that day forward. Rosie came to stay with us again after we got Angel. And still deep in my heart, I so wished she could live with us... forever. She was a Honey, pure and simple! And my house once again was without a dog. So... was I really wanting another bull terrier? Or was there another breed that would better fit the bill?????

No comments:

Post a Comment